HERB - historical but not period source...

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Feb 23 09:54:11 PST 1999

In reference to the previous conversation on perfumery, I've stumbled
across this 1881 source ... The Household Cyclopedia. The chapter on
perfumery is at:
http://members.xoom.com/mspong/perfumery.html

There are also chapters on distillation, medicine, culinary arts, etc.

The site was reviewed by the SCOUT report as follows:

14. The Household Cyclopedia of General Information
http://members.xoom.com/mspong/

This 1881 reference book was designed to help nineteenth-century
households stay healthy and productive. Need to know how to winter your
bees? Build a barometer? Bleed a patient with leeches? Your answers are
here. The site, a part-time project of freelance webmaster Matthew
Spong, evokes a time when many households were largely self-sufficient,
and the value of a book explaining how to amputate a limb, for example,
could be immeasurable. Spong discovered Henry Hartshorne's wonderful
compendium in a market in Sydney and has almost completed scanning the
text and converting it to HTML. We look forward to the final chapter,
Miscellaneous, containing everything from Proof-reading to Dialysis.
[TK]

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental; HERMS Cyclonus), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"Healing the universe is an inside job."