HERB - Hippocrates and other classics authors

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Jan 7 15:24:44 PST 1999

Although the major focus of this list is the study of herbs in
the SCA-specific time periods, I wonder if people wouldn't be
intersted in some of the classic works of the Hippocratic Consortium,
Galen, Aristotle, et al. Some of these works, while a little slow
going because of their age and style of writing, have been lovingly
translated and placed on the web for us to peruse.

I personally am interested in the three authors mentioned above
because they discuss health issues that are mentioned in many of the
period herbals and cookbooks which we reference daily in our research
(at least I do). Happily, I've now discovered readable and nice-
looking copies of these texts on the web. I mention their look
because reading unformatted text or a poorly crafted HTML file
can turn off even the most dedicated of researchers.

Along with authors of interest to herbalists or medical historians
of varying bents, are a slew of other classics authors. And many
of them are conveniently located in one nifty little place that
I've begun visiting on the web courtesy of MIT.

The next time you have a chance, point your browsers at "The
Internet Classics Archive" sponsored by the MIT Program in Writing
and Humanistic Studies:

http://classics.mit.edu/index.html

The site contains "441 works of classical literature by 59
different authors....mainly Greco-Roman works (some Chinese
and Persian), all in English translation." And better still,
it's searchable.

Enjoy!

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm
jasmine at infoengine.com or gwalli at infoengine.com