HERB - Tobacco and other Smoking Herbs

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Tue Jan 19 13:24:43 PST 1999

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:50:01 -0500 Christine A Seelye-King
<mermayde at juno.com> writes:
>Ok, here's a question for the Herb List, anyone heard of
>"Tussilinge"?
>The whole message is below.
>	Mistress Christianna

I believe 'Tussilinge' is colt's foot (_Tussilago farfara_).  The leaves
are smoked to treat coughs and asthma.

Warning: Contains traces of liver-affecting pyrrolizidine alkaloids;
potentially toxic in large doses.

This info is from:
Peterson Field Guides #40, _Eastern/Central Medicinal Plants_, Steven
Foster & James A. Duke, 1990,  Boston: Houghton Mifflin.  ISBN
0-395-46722-5

The leaves are large , roundish, dark green on top and fuzzy white on the
underside, apparenly coming straight out of the ground with no evident
stem beyond the leaf stalk.  It is shade-loving and I have lots of it
growing in my shade garden at the east side of the garage and behind the
grape trellis on the tub room.   Although I have my share of respiratory
problems, I have not yet been able to convince myself that intentionally
inhaling smoke of any kind would be a helpful thing to do.   The early
spring flowers, which bloom before the leaves appear, look a lot like
dandelions with shaggy stems.

Hertha