HERB - Counterindications

Carl/Anne Adamczyk ladygrania at juno.com
Sat Jan 30 12:25:49 PST 1999

<snip>
On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:23:32 -0500 "Gaylin Walli"
  Talk about scary!  (You know the one about hair repalcement that
>pregnant women can't even touch?  Know what that is?  Flamidimide
>[quite sure I screwed the spelling on that one].  Remember flipper
>babies?  That's what the specific birth defect is!  )  So, knowing
>counterindications is very important, but equally important is knowing
>what dosages are relevant.
>Christianna

Yes, Thalidimide was extremely toxic and used much more (almost
exclusively)  in the UK than in the US.   Here we used a compound called
bendictin for morning sickness which had similar effects and that was as
recently as 17 years ago.  We also know that many drugs have deleterious
effects but the benefits outweigh the risks, such as the current use of
the cholesteral lowering drugs like Lipitor and Zocor which have very
toxic effects on the liver and the patients must have their liver
functions monitored on a monthly basis while taking these drugs.  Better
than having a stroke or heart attack. Even alcohol, which is accepted, is
imbibed regularly regardless of  known hepatotoxicity and  toxic effects
on brain cells.  I don't drink either.   I have but one liver. I'm not
about to jeopardize it with substances which are questionable at best.

Grania