Concerning rosemary: (was Re: HERB - lavender)

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Jul 1 08:43:34 PDT 1999

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Darlene Vandever wrote:
>      One is in the backyard in a home in spring, TX.  It grows by her back door,
> gets morning sun only, under the eves, next to a pine tree, in very poor soil
> and gets very little attention or water.
>     The other is in San Antonio, in constant year round direct sun, but heavily
> mulched and watered when it is dry.
>     Both of these seem to be thriving like crazy.  Go figure.

The shrubbery along the Riverwalk in San Antonio is  rosemary. In
mediterraian climates and fair approximations, it thrives; apparently, one
can also grow rosemary 'trees' in parts of Britain.  In my  humid, warm
summer/cold winter PA, it isn't winter hardy, and is, in a pot, sensitive
to extremes of drought and extended dampness: that is, overwatering and
underwatering both kill it. Basically, one should let it dry out until the
pot is noticeably light, then water it. It wants a LOT of light, too.

Superstitiously, I think that rosemary really does thrive in a house where
the woman is in charge, and sage thrives when one's fortunes (financial)
are good. When my sage gets droopy, I rebalance my checkbook... never
fails! *grin*

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"