HERB - Growing herbs and Questions

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 12:19:52 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/1/99 1:42:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mikel at pdq.net
writes:

<<
 I also have echinacea (purple cone flower) blooming, which I would also like
to make into a tincture.  It is a perennial, right? So it should come back
from the roots next year?  Or do I need to let it go to seed and plant those
to keep the production going?

	Yes, it is a perennial, indeed. You might let some of the blooms go
to seed to plant and increase your plot, but otherwise you can clip them to
make a tincture. Mind you, the roots are more potent, but to use those you
have to harvest the whole plant. :-( I don't have the heart to do that, so
content myself with a tincture from the flowers and stems, which do have some
of the same chemicals. Making a tincture can be as simple as steeping the
chopped plant material in vodka to barely cover for several weeks/months,
then straining. To make it stronger--this works well with echinacea, since it
blooms over a long period of time--steep one batch, strain, and add more
plant matter to the original alcohol mixture. Repeat as many times as you
wish. If you do wish to harvest the roots sometime (perhaps after you have
built up a larger stand of plants), do so in the fall and only harvest
older--2+ year old--roots, since those will be more potent.

			Ldy Diana