HERB - Re: Plant superstitions was Re: Concerning rosemary: (was Re: HERB- lavender)

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Jul 6 09:01:41 PDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Lynette K LaFontaine wrote:

> I thought it came from you.  I can neither read nor think without may
> favorite herb COFFEE

Hm... *grin* it's 11:40 EST, so hopefully everyone's had their
caffeine-- including me!

What I was trying to say:
One superstition I had heard of -- from several sources-- is that rosemary
flourishes when the woman rules the house, a statement that may or may not
be considered chavenistic in some direction or other.
(Oddly enough, I had also heard-- from only one source-- that sage also
flourished when the woman of the house 'wore the pants' as they say.)

Sage, however, not only is said to prolong life ("Why should a man die who
groweth sage in his garden) but to be associated with financial
prosperity. Oddly enough, I've noticed that if my cash flow is in the
black, my sage does better, and if I suddenly find myself in financial
straits, my sage withers and dies.

Rosemary is also said to promote a sharp memory, especially for students
(Rosemary, that's for remembrance); it's used as a symbol of fidelity in
marriage customs and of memory in burial customs. Banckes' Herbal [1525]
advises one to make a box of the rosemary wood, and 'Smell thereto, and it
will keep thee youngly' or words to that effect.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"