HERB - Marjoram et cetera

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Fri Jul 9 03:22:48 PDT 1999

We currently have 2 types in our beds.  The Greek type has a 'greener' flavor
almost dill-like.  The sweet marjoram is more pungent and earthy.  Both seem to
like the sun.  Here they get afternoon shade so they are not in the broiling
3:00 sun.  As for the soil requirements, you should probably add alittle compost
and mix in well.

The sweet marjoram in our herb bed has formed 2 pronounced 2 ft tall mounds.
The bees are just extatic about the blooms, so watch yourself when you go
picking some.  They are definitely related to mints, as they spread.  We had to
move the sweet marjoram to another bed, as it was planning on overtaking the
herb garden.  Now it is happily invading its semi-lone raised bed (I think it
will do nicely below the gingers, both will fight for their space.)  We haven't
gotten a hard freeze here in the last few years, so it makes it through the mild
winters.

The only problem with living here is the humidty and heat combo.  When they are
both in the 90's it makes for a rather unpleasent day.  Its hell on the patent
roses (which I refuse to spray, so they die quickly.)  I'm looking for some
cheap David Austin roses to put around the herb garden.  Old roses are the ones
that make it with little or no spraying.