HERB - Parkinson's "Paradisi in Sole"

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Fri Jul 9 15:22:44 PDT 1999

><snip>
>I'd be curious to know how many people on the list have actually
>had the opportunity to sit down right in front of one of the
>books for which we all drool copiously? Has anyone tried and
>succeeded? Tried and failed?
>
>Jasmine
>Iasmin de Cordoba

I have had the privelege of handling actual period manuscripts in the
rare book rooms of the campus libraries at St. Mary College, Leavenworth,
KS, Rockhurst College, KC, MO, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, and at
the privately owned Linda Hall Library next door to the UMKC campus in
KC, MO.

And perhaps even more exciting, I have studied period knitted textiles
(garments) in the textile conservation department of the Mertopolitan
Museum of Art, NY, NY.  I wrote to the curator well in advance of my
trip, sent her a copy of my chronology of knitting history, and asked
very nicely if I could see some specific pieces that I knew to be in
their collections.  She not only let me see and handle them and look at
them with a magnifier, she gave me reprints of some articles by Irena
Tournau (sp?) and set up a meeting with Mr. Braham Norwick, who had spent
over 40 years professionally researching knitting for BeauKnit Industries
(a hosiery company).  I was bouncing off the walls for weeks!

Hertha