HERB - Sage

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Jul 12 07:18:43 PDT 1999

Jadwiga wrote:
>Sage is one of the sturdier plants, here in the Mid-atlantic at least.
>Most pest problems with sage can be solved by washing it with (or watering
>with) soapy dishwater. Around here, it likes full sun and well-drained
>soil.

I've found that this holds true for both upper and lower Michigan, as
well. I've also yet to discover a pest that can withstand hot pepper
wax if the soapy water trick fails.

Alan, sage is a lovely plant regardless of the variety you have. I have
seen sage plants so old they look like small trees, and this was in the
Great White North of Michigan. Here are two period or peri-oid links
that may help you out if you'd like to look more into the historical
uses of the plant as well as the chemical makeup and such:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/s/sages-05.html
This is the page from Maude Grieve's herbal that describes varieties.
Good writeup that may lead you to in-period sources.

http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/culpeper/s.htm
This is the page that contains description from Culpepper's Herbal.
It's the second plant on the page.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
gwalli at infoengine.com