HERB - cordials

Magdalena da Cadamosto brambleberry at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 06:22:36 PDT 1999

>remember what we call roses today are not anything like those that existed
>then.  The original rose might be worth investigating

What you want are antique roses.  Somewhere, buried in my storage locker, I
have period documentation for the use of roses in cordials.  In the
meantime, let me assure you that Digby uses Eglantine leaves in many mead
recipes, and eglantine petals in one.  You can find Eglantine roses at most
antique rose dealers.  They grow to be about 6' high, bloom once a year, and
have apple-scented leaves.  (Also known as Sweet Briar)

-Magdalena