HERB - Re: old roses

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 11:41:06 PDT 1999

I got a Gallica (Apothecary's Rose), damask, and an
Eglantine from a place called Roses of Yesterday and
Today, in Scott's Valley, CA. As their name suggests,
they carry many varieties of heritage roses.
Richter's Herb Catalog has a section on Classic Roses,
which they identify as introduced before 1867, the
year in which the modern hybrid tea roses were first
introduced. They have half a dozen listed as falling
within our period, including damask, gallica, and
alba.
There is another place, in Northern California, that
carries period roses, too, but I don't have the name
handy.
On another subject, I made a bug spray from liquid
soap, garlic, onions, and serrano and jalapeno
peppers. The bugs who didn't die outright departed in
haste. I gave some to a friend to use on her garden,
and she had good luck with it too.
Edwinna