HERB - Old roses

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Wed Jul 14 22:23:31 PDT 1999

Greetings!

>It's always made me wonder what would come up from the root stock (a
>thing I've always been told must *never* be allowed to happen).

Whyever not??  I think, depending on the age of the roses, I'd be tempted
to do it, advice to the contrary or not.  Of course, I've been
spoiled...had Old World "June Roses" in my wedding bouquet, and have been
the happy accomplice in several rose rustlings.  I don't know their
names, but my grandmother has 'em!  There are about 8 species that came
over on a boat in the yard, and I added one unknown and a Betty Bryor to
them.

Can anyone help me ID?  Free cuttings to anyone who shows, and I'm going
in August to get mine!  Hey, Jadwiga...Road Trip!  (I'm going Aug 6 or 7,
and yes, it's in Virginville!!!!)

-Caro

P.S.  For those rose rustling wanna-bes, check out old cemeteries.
That's where the majority end up.  Also, old condemned houses are second.
 That's where I got the unknown rose, two weeks before demolition and two
days before the defoliation spray.)