Fwd: [Fwd: HERB - fabric stores and allergies]

KATAKIRA@aol.com KATAKIRA at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 21:15:07 PDT 1999

Greetings from Katarina Peregrine, Middle Kingdom. Your postings were
forwarded to me by a friend recently. I found them rather interesting:
In a message dated 7/14/99 4:31:15 PM, stormsno at oplin.lib.oh.us writes:

<< >     Jo-Ann's was purchased by House of Fabric who also purchased fabric
land
> some years back  I don't know what is happening now but Fabric Land and
> House of Fabric continued for several years to market under both names
> posing as competitors.
>      Truly fine fabrics have become a rarity.  I suggest shopping is
> privately owned shops and mail order as these are the only places today that
> carry truly fine fabric.  Don't get me wrong for craft fabric and some garb
> the chains can be good; also children's wear and everyday cotton and
> polyesters. >>

You might be interested to know that JoAnn Stores, Inc. actually purchased
Fabricland, New York Fabrics and House of Fabrics and converted them to
Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts Stores and Jo-Ann etc stores, not the other way
around. The company is planning to open over a dozen more Jo-Ann etc stores
and even more traditional Jo-Ann stores in the next year. You are correct in
noticing that the former Fabricland and House of Fabric names were retained
for quite some time--when over 200 stores are aquired, it is rather difficult
to blend them into the parent company operation overnight. The stores,
however, did not "pose" as competitors. They were handled for some time as
separate business units, with an eye to unification under the Jo-Ann name.

And although the stores don't carry the range of fine fabrics that one might
find in specialty stores, you find over the next year that the selection of
couture fabrics, including silks, cottons, linens, wools and blends of these
fabrics will be expanded, especially in Jo-Ann etc stores. The etc stores,
along with larger Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts stores will also be carrying more
brocades, jaquards and woven plaids.

The Special Order/Special Occasion Book and the Craft Fabric Special Order
books are also good resources when one is looking for a particular fabric at
a manageable price. These books include all of the fine fabrics and special
occasion fabrics that Jo-Ann stores stock. The Craft Fabric book includes all
of the 100% cotton and cotton blend craft fabrics that are in stock. This
collection includes all fabrics available, including the seasonal fabrics
(e.g., special fabrics for Christmas or other holidays).

One thing you may also want to keep in mind when inquiring about special
order fabric is if the fabric is re-orderable. Sometimes the fabric is
purchased only for a particular selling season, and when it has all been
shipped out of the warehouse, it is not re-orderable from the fabric
manufacturer.

I have been in the SCA 10 years, and have purchased the lion's share of my
fabric from Jo-Ann. Granted, for my period (late12th-early 13th c.) I can get
away with cotton, linen and silk solids, which I can find there. The trim
selection is decent, and it’s nice to know I can also get Gutermann silk
hand/machine thread at Jo-Ann. Of course, if one is working in a later
period, it would be hard to find silk brocades, silk velvets and so on at
Jo-Ann, and a specialty store might be a better source. However, I feel I
must disagree with your evaluation that the only thing one can find are
everyday, "children's wear and everyday cotton and polyesters."

There have been a lot of changes at Jo-Ann lately, and there are more to
come. Drop in occasionally. You might be surprised!

Regards,

Katarina Peregrine, Gwyntarian, Middle Kingdom
[Karen Johnson, copywriter, Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. Hudson, OH)