HERB - Herbs & Things:Jeanne Rose's Herbal

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Jul 21 08:55:57 PDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/20/1999 10:59:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kblackthorne at midtown.net writes:
>
> > (Many shops have chosen to stop carrying this
> >  one because of a section in the back called "The Secrets", with recipes
> >  calling for things like baby's fat and boiling a live cat.)

One of the reasons I don't consider Jeanne Rose's HErbal a reliable
source, except as it reports the recipes credited to others, is the OTHER
chapters, one on Brain recipes and one on Female recipes. The use of
psychoactive stuff in those recipes-- especially a few recipes for
psychoactive douches-- is a reason I'm very cautious about who I share
this volume with. It would be nice if someone could follow her path
through the libraries  of California when she researched the book, and
turn up the sources she used for the period recipes, though.

Oh, and if you've never seen the book-- she's also an extreme fat bigot.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)