HERB - Old Oil Bottles

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Jul 21 10:12:49 PDT 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Katherine Blackthorne wrote:
> I've tried all thesee tricks (and then some) and still certain herbs leave
> behind their scent!  (And that's just dried herbs, not oils.)  AND
> bakingsoda.  AND lemon juice.  AND leaving it open-to-the air for a year
> after trying everything else.  My jars still smell like valarian!
> --Katherine

Oh. Valerian. Yes. It's vitally important to treat valerian as if it were
hazardous chemicals. Just as an experiment, when I finally discarded the
valerian teabags, I soaked the OUTER jar (I was storing the valerian in a
plastic bag in a glass jar inside another plastic bag inside another glass
jar), overnight with a heavy bleach-and-water solution. It then smelled of
bleach and valerian! The bleach smell eventually washed off...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)