HERB - Deppression, was Soothers for children

Carper, Rachel Rachel.Carper at COMPAQ.com
Thu Jul 22 09:26:20 PDT 1999

I too suffer from depression. And as I look back on it I realize I have for
most of my life. I am currently on Prozac 40mg a day. This works wonders for
me. It has worked so well from the start that I'm sure my problem is a
chemical imbalance. As a fellow depressant I would pass on the following
advice to your daughter.

It hardly ever works right the first time. Medication is a hit and miss
situation. And Lord is that aggravating. But stick with it, it is worth it
in the end. Also  see if you can spot your markers of depression. The signs
that you are sinking into the depression. Mine are a tendency to daydream,
my spelling goes through the floor, I sleep A LOT, and my driving becomes
erratic. I made a list and put it in my diary so I was sure I could find it.
When I see this behavior I watch what I'm doing closely. I know I get very
irritated when I have to repeat myself when I'm depressed; so when I do this
I try to remind myself it is my harmones and not the other person. (My
roommates wish I was better at it though) Another good thing is breathing.
When ever I feel myself revving up or getting upset I take several deep
breaths. That helps slow me down. The Biggest and most important suggestion
I can make is talk to people. I'm here for you. I've been and am going
through a lot of the same things. If you don't have access to a group write
me. If I can't help I have friends who maybe able to help. We depressants
stick together. And the #1 thing I learned in group therapy was: Fake it
till you make it. Really, just going through the motions helps get you
through to the other side.

On an up note, when I'm depressed, my normally nonexistent artistic talent
goes through the roof. I take really good pictures then. So find your talent
and exploit it. Some good will come of it. Even if you have to make the good
yourself. And it will get better. I promise.

Elewyiss

PS feel free to have your daughter write to me. I also have a friend who is
16 who suffers from depression and I could probably connect the two. I also
have a great set of links.