Fw: HERB - methyl salicylate problem research (long)

RoseThstle@aol.com RoseThstle at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 14:43:13 PDT 1999

Those are very interesting pieces of research.  I have known that birch bark
contained the same stuff as asprin, but didn't know that of wintergreen mint.
 Native Americans used birch bark as a tea or chewed the bark out right to
cure headaches and other aches and pains.

As far as the side-affects and toxic problem.. I don't doubt anyone can find
a toxic level for any herb that is misused.  I guess I'm a little skeptical
of reports that "prove" that herbs are not to be trusted.  (not speaking of
the research presented, I'm speaking of in general) And synthetic drugs
wonderful and pure.   The L-Trytophan is a good example.  Though an amino
acid and not an herb, the medical community was thrilled to condemn it's use
when a lady died in Arizona from a bad batch.  How many more die from misuse
of sleeping aids and valium?  These don't make headlines.

Not to throw water on well done research, but to pose a point.