Fw: HERB - methyl salicylate problem research (long)

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Fri Jul 23 15:24:33 PDT 1999

Katherine wrote:

>Salicylate is nonsteroidal anti- inflammatory agent (NSAD).  Aspirin fall in
>this category.

Which is why this is mentioned in combination with similar
aspirin side effects with regards to users of warfarin. At
least in the study abstracts I've read.

>Trolamine salicylate is rapidly and well absorbed percutaneiouly following
>topical application.  [study info deleted]

Hmm. I wonder which study this is. Agnes was kind enough to send me
a reference off line that included this tidbit of a study that may be worth
reading with regard to the above topic:

Lee-S-Nicole; Bowles-Susan-K; Reeves-Richard-A
Source:  Annals-of-Pharmacotherapy. 1996; 30 (9) 935-940.
Publication Year:  1996
Language:  English

Abstract:  OBJECTIVE: To compare the rate and extent
of systemic salicylate absorption following single
and multiple applications of two topically applied
analgesics, one  containing methyl salicylate and the
other containing trolamine salicylate. [study design deleted]

>From my study of pharmocology I learned that the synthetic form is
>chemically no diffrent than the natural form.  However, the whole plan is
>another matter as you likely know that is the mystery of whold plant
>medicine.  Often there are other undefined components that create synergy,

Agreed. My point was that the synteically reproduced wintergreen
oil that I found available online was sold as lacking the potentially
harmful effects of plain ol' distilled wintergreen. Strange to me.

Now, lest everyone think that this whole subject has gone woefully
off topic, I think that it's critical we keep ourselves up to date
with research similar to this. It's extremely hard to cover all the
plants and all the herbs in all the substances that might have been
used in period, but it certainly helps to have others on the list
sharing the research articles and topics that they've found useful
and controversial (or both!) to help us determine for ourselves a
little bit more about the why's and wherefore's of period herbal
use. For those of you who've sent me citations so far, WOW! Such
quick repsponse! Thanks!

In service, for research, and just cause I'm crazy that way,

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
gwalli at infoengine.com