HERB - OT: BUT IMPORTANT ON Methyl Salicylate!!!!

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Sat Jul 24 01:54:51 PDT 1999

In SMALL quantities its mildly analgesic, but in larger doses (a teaspoon of the
pure stuff) it can be extremely poisonous.  It builds an extremely low pH in the
bloodstream due to the free salicylates.  They have to wash the blood with
bicarbonates to rid the pH effects.  It can cause liver shutdown, so be careful.  I
am very careful with the stuff we make in lab, 'cause the kids want to eat the stuff
they make.  I would be careful of the pure stuff in the bottles.  It is absorbed
through the skin, so be careful.  Always know about the properties of the pure
chemicals you come in contact with.  Just remember that too much of any chemical is
bad, an overdose of water is called drowning.

BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER CHECK OUT THESE!

Dr. Koop's web page on the stuff:
http://salon.drkoop.com/adam/mhc/top/002683.htm

Here's the MSDS sheet on the stuff:
http://chem-courses.ucsd.edu/CoursePages/Uglabs/MSDS/methyl.salicylate.-baker.html