HERB - Melatonin

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Jul 28 06:32:37 PDT 1999

Greetings.

I have been using melatonin for several years, nightly.  Without it, I am a basket case, awake for days on end.

I have a serious problem with insomnia and I suspect what they call "post-traumatic stress syndrome" from some of the hoo-rah I was subjected to while in the military.  (The Veteran's Administration and the U.S. Air Farce disagree....)

All of the bad side effects that are being described here are known to be caused by overdosage.  Suppression of dreams, difficulty awakening, extraordinarily vivid dreams, are all more than likely due to an overdose of this extremely powerful hormone.

I am a rare exception: I  _require_  a 3-milligram dose to achieve the appropriate effect.  Most adults cannot _tolerate_ this amount.  3 milligrams allows me to sleep easily, awaken naturally, dream appropriate amounts, and not awaken shortly after (finally) falling asleep, bolt-upright, cold-sweating, clenched fists, lashing out and screaming .....

Melatonin is produced in the body naturally, but after puberty, and especially in middle age, the amount you make on your own diminishes.  Supplementing it in tablet form (NEVER buy the capsules, the dosage is too hard to adjust) is one way to increase it back to "younger" levels and allow natural sleep.  Purchase tho  0.5  milligram tablets (I think Schiff makes them in this dosage).  Break the tablet into fourths.  Take  ONE  of these fragments one hour before you wish to be asleep.  .13 milligrams of melatonin, allowed to enter the system before bedtime, is usually enough for most adults.  If you do not notice any effect at all after a week of this amount, try one-half of a tablet (0.25 mg).  Keep upping the dose until you can tell it's working, but aren't adversely affected by it.  CAVEAT: Some folks will always have side effects with some drugs.  It may not be appropriate for you.  Try valerian root, steeped in cold water for 24-36 hours; drink the decoction, 1-2 tablespoons to start and increasing the dosage until the desired intensity is reached.  (2 tablespoons of valerian like this knocks me colder than clams.)

Don't expect to become drowsy immediately when using melatonin.  It doesn't work like that in most people.  It will only allow you to go to sleep more easily when the dosage is correct.  You're more able to quieten the mind and ignore the little distractions that keep you awake.  That's all it should be doing in the appropriate dosage.

Oh, one of the more inocuous side effects which may be used as an indication that you have reached a tolerable dosage is a mild tendency toward tearing or watery ears about 20 minutes or so after ingesting the tablet.

Eoin Caimbeul