HERB - Kidney bean thoughts

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 4 06:14:51 PDT 1999

  Concerning broccolli,

	I belong to a subscription farm and we've gotten broccoli this
year.  One of the things they told us was that broccoli in Europe is not
harvested in one big head but much smaller - like the side shoots.   Keep
in mind that very often the parts we eat are slightly different as well.

Raisya's list contains vegies that do well in our part of the country.....
the South/Southwest.
So our growing season is almost backwards.

No wishing to start discussing religion on this list:
A point I learned recently when a friend of mine who is a practising
Neo-pagan pointed out that down here the hardest season for farmers and
settlers was the summer because of the extreeme heat, droughts and
tornados.   She said the cycle of seasons that are celebrated in Northern
Europe don't have a lot of validity in our part of the country.  It should
be reversed.
I thought it was an interesting point.

 Clare