HERB - Please help

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jun 7 08:11:44 PDT 1999

>From "The Herbal Book for the Dog" by Juliette de Bairacli-Levy
	"Mastitis.  The ailment is most commonly caused by feeble puppies who
are unable to suckle their dam strongly and therefore do not empty the
breasts several times daily.  Congestion resultsand mastitis develops.
The typical symptom os swelling and hardness of the whole milk-secreting
area, and often some degrees of fever.  The bitch usually refuses to
allow the puppies to feed from her because of the pain caused by the
congestion.
	Treatment.  The puppies should be removed form the bitch, and, meantime,
hand-reared.  The milk glands must be emptied of allmilk by hand
expression, first applying cloths dipped in hot water to the breasts.
This should be carried out four to five times during the day.  The
milk-glands area should be bathed with a brew of elder and dock leaves-
one handful of each brewed in 1 1/2 pints of water.  Internal treatment
is one day's complete fasxt on water only, with four herbal antiseptic
tablets given twice daily  (average breed); a laxative in the evening,
then a fluid diet of milk and honey for several days until normality is
restored.  The puppies can then feed again from their dam.  "
		and
"Milk Glands in Trouble.  "False" milk is often troublesome in bitches,
also excess milk, following weaning.  The former is generally met with in
maiden bitches who produce milk at the times when, if mated, they would
have developed this "false"milk when they have not been mated.  The
treatment for this trouble is exactly the same for metritis (which see)
but with no external douching; and the treatment naturally being used in
a much shorter form; for example, one day's fasting, followed by two or
three days' milk-honey fluid diet.  In this ailment it is more beneficial
to use the milk in a sour state: in that way it becomes somewhat
laxative; honey should still be given.  The external treatment, in this
trouble, is the bathing and massaging of the hot and inflamed milk glands
with an infusion of mint leaves (common garden mint) or mint and lettuce
leaves.  An excellent alternative treatment is external bathing with dock
and elder leaves.  Whit this latter treatment I have had great success in
curing mastitis in cows and goats.  Internally, give twice daily in doses
of two tablespoons a brew of wood-sage.  The same treatment should be
followed for cases of excess milk in the dam following the removal of her
weaned puppies. It is the over-early removal of a litter which is
frequently the cause of the dam's excess milk:  early sales often being
the motive.  The unnatural over-early weaning of puppies is one of the
greatest causes of poor health among dogs; a well-bred brood bitch will
be able to feed her litter until the puppies reach the age of seven to
eight weeks, or longer; the pupy weaning not commencing before the fourth
week, when fresh goat or cow milk can be given, soon followed by
tree-barks flour, raw meat not being introduced into the diet until the
fifth week."
	and
	"Metritis. (a disease of the womb, causing a odorous discharge.)
	Treatment.  An infusion of wild rose fruits (or garden rose).  When not
available the leaves can be used, but they are far inferior to the
fruits- the hips.  The hips should be well crushed, and then brewed in
the usual way.  The infusion is improved by the addition of witch-hazel
extract, one half teaspoon of the witch hazel to each tablespoonful of
the infusion (average dose).  Douching with an infusion of lavender
flowers and leaves is also helpful.  In severe cases the lavender
infusion can also be given internally, at midday, in addition to the
morning and evening dose of rose-hip infusion. "
	I looked and can't find any idea of what she means by herbal antiseptic
tablet, but I think a garlic/brewer's yeast doggie treat would go a long
way toward that.
	I've used this book for a case of "false milk" in a maiden dog once, and
used a lavender/honey/milk infusion.  We fed it to her several times for
a couple of days.  The condition cleared up in a day.
	Good Luck,
	Christianna