HERB - Recipe: Sun Pickles

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Wed Jun 9 06:24:07 PDT 1999

Here's the pickle recipe I promised. I'm still looking for the soap recipes
that are packed away in boxes from the move. I've never made this
recipe, only tasted the results. MMMMmmm. Tasty pickles. The
recipe here is as Helen's 75-year-old daughter gave to me. I've
not changed the wording. -- Jasmine

Sun Pickles

(From Helen White who got it from Fannie Frank. Both of these
women were 100 years old.)

25 canning pickles (more or less according to size
6 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup canning salt
3 1/4 cups white vinegar
fresh garlic to taste
3-4 heads of dill (can use whole stalk)
pinch of granulated alum

Wash and pack pickles in a gallon-sized wide mouth jar that already
has the dill and garlic in it. Mix the water, vinegar and salt together
(Helen says she cuts the salt and vinegar a bit, but Fannie doesn't)
and then add it to the pickle jar. Add the pinch of alum. Cover and
set in the sun for 2 days (Helen says overcast days work too).

After two days, refridgerate and pickles are ready to eat. They
should last up to a year in the fridge if you don't eat them.