HERB - How to get the tick off

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Fri Jun 11 13:02:05 PDT 1999

I wrote the following tick article last year. It is aimed at an SCA
audience, and would be appropriate for inclusion in local newsletters.

My only caveat to the referenced Mayo Clinic article is the use of oil.
Most of the information I have seen recommends that you don't stress the
tick by putting anything on it to suffocate it, or try to burn it (the old
match trick). These techniques will cause the tick to regurgitate, thus
increasing the chances of infection. If you grasp them around the head and
mouthparts with a fine forcep, you are indeed stressing the wee beastie,
but you are also closing off the gullet and preventing any more tick body
fluids from entering the host.

The article appears on the Chirurgeon's Point website at
http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/Chirurgeon/ticks.html

The Scourge of the Woodlands

          We’ve all heard stories around the war campfire of wee people and
fairies lurking in the woods to waylay weary travelers, and in my many
years of travels these I have never seen. But lad, there is a wee beastie
you must beware of, as I have seen this one strike strong healthy men who
knew not they were under attack. They lie in wait quietly in the weeds at
trailside, carrying with them disease and pestilence. They move silently
and strike with deadly stealth. Who are these highwaymen who hold us under
perpetual siege? They are none other than that arachnid scourge – the tick.
      We are now in the time of year when the call for battle goes out and
armies march to distant and not-so-distant battlefields. However, often the
greatest danger comes not from the sword of the enemy, but rather the march
and the campsite. From this enemy, even the good gentles who support the
men-at-arms are not safe. The tick will hide in tall grasses and shrubs,
preferring to rest about 2 feet above the ground. Detecting the heat of the
body and the exhaled breath of a living being, leaping to its victim, the
tick finds a suitable location, often the armpit, groin, or waist to
attach. It burrows its mouthparts into the skin and attaches with barbed
proboscae and a natural cement. The
attachment process is completely painless, making detection most difficult.
The way to find if you are under attack is a complete check of the entire
body every few hours. Obviously, there are parts of the body that cannot be
seen with one’s own eyes, and another willing gentle should be enlisted.
Especial care should be given to the hair as the tick may easily hide
there. Often it is better detected by feel than by sight. Note that a tick
in its fasting state may be but the size of a mustard seed and quite
difficult to see.
      Any tick found should be removed as soon as reasonably possible, as
the longer the tick feeds, the more chance it has of injecting its vile
humors into its victim. Care must be taken to remove the tick in the proper
manner as not to distress it too much, causing it to vomit disease- laden
juices into its host. You will hear many veteran soldiers talk about
burning the tick or painting it to get it to drop off. Nay, I say, as these
maneuvers will surely distress the beast with dire results. Acquire a pair
of fine forceps, grasp the head of the tick as close as possible to the
skin, and pull straight out slowly and firmly. Watch the wound for signs of
infection, which may be treated with ointments and cleansing as any other
skin wound. However, after being bitten by a tick, watch especially for a
rash that forms a circle around the bite giving the appearance of an
archer’s target and slowly enlarges. This may occur many days after the
bite. This is a sign of infection by Lyme disease, and the services of a
Dockor of Physick should be sought immediately. Because the tick
bears many pestilences besides the disease of Lyme including Colorado Tick
Fever, Babesiosis, Erlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Tick-Borne
Relapsing Fever, Tick Paralysis, and Tularemia, any disease producing a
fever or rash should be evaluated and the healer told of the bite of the tick.
      As we are guided by the great healers Galen and Hippocrates, the best
medicine is preventing illness. To avoid becoming a victim of the scourge
tick, heed the following warnings: Travel not in high grass or shrubberies
and wear light-colored clothing. Whenever possible, tuck pants legs into
boots or keep legs covered. Treat thy garments with insect repellents such
as Permanone (permethrin) or DEET. ("DEET", "Off", "Cutter", "Muskol").
Check yourself and household for ticks frequently – every few hours if
possible, twice a day as a minimum. Only constant vigilance will protect
one from falling ill to this predator of the woodlands. We must all keep
our health while on campaign to emerge
from this summer season victors over both man and beast.

© 1998 Galen of Ockham (MKA Keith E. Brandt, M.D.)  May be used in SCA
publications as long as content is not modified and proper credit given.
For all other uses, please contact the author at wd9get at amsat.org.
In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Cyber CIC of the Chirurgeon Mailing List
Chirurgeon Web Page: http://members.xoom.com/Chirurgeon