HERB - hyperthyroid

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Fri Jun 11 13:27:35 PDT 1999

>Let me start out by saying I am untrained and unlicensed. The
>information I'm giving you here is purely from my research
>and may well be wrong. Ulrike is right. Going to a trained
>naturpath or master herbalist is the best way to determine
>if the thyroid is really the problem or if there's a more
>complex issue at hand. When the thyroid is affected, it is
>very common for the pituitary gland, the parathyroid
>glands, and the various sex glands to be affected as well.

Let me start out by saying I am trained and licensed.
The best way to determine if the thyroid is the problem is to go to an MD
or DO. The reason is the naturopaths (in most states, I believe Washington
is the only exception) and herbalists cannot perform the laboratory tests
to definitively determine the problem. History and physical exam are
extremely important, but endocrinology is one area where the labs and
possibly scans give the ultimate answer. After other problems have been
ruled out, then by all means if you prefer an herbal therapy seek out a
qualified herbal provider to manage the treatment, but check with the MD/DO
periodically for thyroid tests. Now-a-days, you should be able to find an
MD/DO who is open to CAM (complementary and alternative therapies).

Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Cyber CIC of the Chirurgeon Mailing List
Chirurgeon Web Page: http://members.xoom.com/Chirurgeon