HERB - 6-pack ring recycling

Mike and Pat Luco mikel at pdq.net
Tue Jun 15 08:05:40 PDT 1999

Dear Jasmine,

Thanks for your most gracious assistance in the past. You are such a fine and gentle lady and
an example for us all. I've seen the six-pack rings tied together at the ends, so the last 2
loops are tied to the first 2 loops of the next  and so on.  Sort of like the chainmailers do
(but not really).  You could just use those twist ties to bind the rings.  If ties rust and
fall apart, so what it adds iron to the soil.  The rings that I saw tied together had sweet
peas growing through them.  Many of the rings have starch or other fillers that microbes
like. These microbes help to breakdown the plastic rings.  So over the summer the rings
should become brittle and start to decompose.  Just make sure to get those little plastic
pieces out of the garden, they are still plastic just in smaller chunks.

 --

Henri and Antea
Kingdom of Ansteorra, Barony Stargate