HERB - trellis work and modern subs?

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 21:16:39 PDT 1999

Jasmine,

Sorry I've been kind of slow on this, but I've got a few things for you.
Might be more later... - Raisya

In THE MEDIEVAL GARDEN (Sylvia Landsberg),
Pg 16, there is an artist's drawing that's supposed to be based on Albertus
Magnus' writing (ca. 1260 AD).
Pg 19.  15th century, grapes on a tunnel arbor made of bent and lashed poles,
and roses climbing on a pole fence.
pg 27.  Flemish (ca. 1520), grape vinyard, grapes being tied to stakes.
pg 50.  Flemish (ca. 1440), grapes on a pole tunnel arbor.
pg 75.  German (ca. 1450), a simple tied pole trellis with roses.
pg 90.  French (ca. 1470), vines trellised on a fence.
pg 137  Modern drawing of details for a simple pole arbor with a flat top
rather than an arch.

I can't dig it out right now, but I believe the 14th century Medieval Health
Manuals illustrate a couple of versions, mostly for grapes.  One type
involves growing vines up into trees.  There's a wicker cage supporting
roses.  And I can't find it, but I believe a picture related to vinegar or
verjuice portrays a fairly simple pole trellis, I think, flat top rather than
arched, like the one on 137 in Landsberg's book.

In GARDENING THROUGH THE AGES (Penelope Hobhouse), there's:
pg 79. 15th century, Spain, a carnation in a pot grown on a wicker frame.