HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #289

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Jun 28 06:53:20 PDT 1999

	Hummm, perhaps a word of warning about using henna on the hair might
be in order for those not familiar with it. Yes, it is great for adding body
to the hair, as I understand, but it is a *dye*, not just a conditioner. You
need to leave it on the hair a while to get it's benefits, but you have to
realize that it will color everything it touches along the way! (Anybody
played around with the henna skin painting kits? Same basic stuff!) So don't
plan to use it in the shower like the other herbs we've discussed, by just
pouring a tea of it over your hair after washing. Get a box of it prepared
and ready to use and follow the directions carefully. (I used to see in the
health food stores some that came in a range of shades like chemical hair
dyes, from strawberry to dark auburn, and even neutral --any one know if it's
still available like that?)
	And yes, (in response to another post) beer has a great reputation as
a hair conditioner, as does cider vinegar. I don't care for the scent of
either enough to use them (plus, my loooog hair needs a more aggressive
conditioner than they are!), so I can't really comment personally. But one
thing I do know--if you want to use your homemade soap as a shampoo, you
should rinse your hair with vinegar for sure, since soap is pretty
alkaline--has to be to work!--and you'll need to restore the pH level after
it's done it's job.

			Ldy Diana