HERB - Re: 5 favorite books

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 10:08:58 PDT 1999

Hm-mmm.
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned.
I would add:
The Early English Herbals, by Eleanor Sinclair Rohde.Dover
Mediaeval Gardens, by John Harvey. Published once by Timber Press, once
by Batsford. Both out of print. I had photocopies, which I lost during
a move. I keep searching the used and out of print book site, ABEbooks,
and Powell's (of Portland, Ore.).
How to Grow Herbs For Gourmet Cooking, by Frederick O. Anderson,
Hawthorn Books, NY. besides how to grow them, includes recipes. A small
section includes historic recipes, from Apicius on. Gives the list of
plants grown in the Cloisters Museum Medieval Garden, NY, which was
based on a monastery garden. Gives scientific name and common names.
Was available through ABEbooks last time I looked.
The last two would be A Weaver's Garden, and A Dyer's Garden, Rita
Buchanan, Interweave Press.
I'm not sure my favorite isn't Richter's Catalog.
Edwinna of Hawks Bluff,
Who has been planning a garden for at least 10 years now.