HERB - rose beads

sunshinegirl sunshinegirl at steward-net.com
Tue May 4 16:39:22 PDT 1999

> From: Warren & Meredith Harmon <corwynsca at juno.com>
> Greetings!
>
> Which method is that?
 The only way I know to make rose beads is to
> spread gum arabic onto fresh petals, then roll - *is* there a way to use
> dried petals?  I was told no, but I vaguely remember reading about it a
> decade ago.  Please help!

I was once shown a method of soaking the rose petals in oil until
transparent, and then rolling them, but I don't remember the specifics.
I'd be interested in your recipie.
The following directions and notes is how I do them - I've been told that
it works with dried rose petals, but have never tried it.
Melandra

Take any color of rose petals, I've used wilted, frozen, or fresh, but
never have tried with dry ones.
Cut them up into small pieces.  If black color (the only one I've done) is
desired, place in iron skillet.  Cover with water and simmer, stiring once
in a while and adding water if needed to keep from burning for one hour.
Allow to set, stiring occaisionally, for a day.
repeat the simmer, set, for 3 to 7 days, until you end up with a soft
paste.
Roll into beads and string with Large needle.
Move beads on the string several times a day until they dry.

Notes from experience:
	I generally simmer and set for 7+ days before the paste is the right
consistency.
	Some people advice dipping fingers in rose scented oil before rolling.
this helps prevent sticking and adds to the scent.
	If you don't wear gloves, be prepared to have stained fingers for a few
days.
	If you don't move them on the string several times a day, they will shrink
to the string and then break when you try to take them off.
	Sometimes the beads start to mold, depending on weather conditions.  I
just rolled the bead between my fingers to get rid of it, and I've never
had any problems with the dry beads.
	After the beads are dry, rolling them in a little oil, preferably rose
scented, can help protect them .
	They will leave marks on clothing if they get wet ( at least, my first
ones, not rolled in oil, did)  but so far the marks have always come out in
the wash - thank goodness, because it was white linen that I was wearing
for the first time.
	If you wear them, your body heat will cause the scent of roses to
intensify.  Same thing happens if you put a string of them on your car
mirror - heat will cause the scent to appear.
	If they seem to lose their scent, roll them in rose scented oil.

I have found out that other petals may be used to make them, as well.
Try it out, especially if you have roses.  It's a lot of fun!!