HERB - bug repellent

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Sat May 15 19:11:38 PDT 1999

On Sat, 15 May 1999 18:10:45 -0600 Julia Spiritstone
<spiritst at prairie.NoDak.edu> writes:

>> If I remember rightly, we had an insect repellant discussion this
>time
>> last year.
>
>If there is an archive please let me know so I don't clutter this
>list.
>:)
>Julia

I believe Caitlin may have been thinking of citronella.  It is an oil
extracted from a grass of Southern Asia (_Cymbopogon nardus_).  The
essential oil is probably available from commercial herb suppliers.  It
is frequently used in candles and scented lamp oils because of its insect
repellant qualities.

Because of my many allergies, I am very cautious about what I put on my
skin.  If you blend your own repellant, be sure to keep track of what you
put into it in case someone has allergies that would prevent them from
using it.
I have one friend who is extremely allergic to juniper (cedar).

I do find it helpful to eat plenty of garlic or take garlic tablets
(unscented ones are available) for a week or two before and during
camping events.   Less than a month til Lilies War in central Calontir!

Hertha