HERB - Skirrets

Larry Beeler LibbyAndColin at webtv.net
Sun May 16 08:07:40 PDT 1999

Well, until Raisya or someone extremely knowledgable jumps in here:
     Culpeper's shows a picture of a skirret root that looks something
like a cluster of carrots splayed outward from a central stalk.  He
defines it as "a root vegetable with a taste superior to
Carrots"........"the roots are white inside (with a brown outside
layer)".............."introduced into England from Chine during the
reign of Henry VIII..........popular in Roman times"   I thought it
might make a rather nifty feast presentation.
   Culpeper also states "the root is diuretic and cleansing........not
now used in herbal medicine."
     Has anyone tasted skirrets?  I am growing a patch for the baronial
cooks next year, be nice to know if they are actually edible.....
Lebearchaulmn, the hermit