HERB - Poison Ivy help

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Fri May 21 09:46:33 PDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999 11:08:14 -0400 meaduewolf at juno.com writes:

>Could someone explain to this poor unknowledgeable (trying to become)
>herbalist what this plant is and looks like?
>Please? Pretty Please?

Common or Broadleaf Plantain (_Plantago major_) grows low to the ground,
flat in places where there is a lot of traffic or mowing.  (In
undisturbed areas the leaves may stand upright.)  The leaves are glossy
dark green ovals, about the size of the palm of a hand, growing in a
rosette arrangement radiating out from the central point.  They have a
number of prominent parallel veins and a stalk or stem that is usually
shorter than the rest of the leaf.  The flower/seed stalk is tall and
narrow (unbranched) and arises from the center of the rosette of leaves.
The flowers are greenish, close to the stalk, densely spaced and
inconspicuous.  The seeds make the stalk have a bumpy appearance.

>No I don't want to sign my name. Then they'll know who I am........

Silly!   :=)

Hertha