HERB - Poison Ivy help

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Fri May 21 13:28:53 PDT 1999

Greetings!

Are you sure this is poison ivy?  With blisters that big, I'd suspect
blister beetles first.

Something else I remembered from that poison ivy article: poison ivy is a
two-stage  [oh, what's the word?  All I can think of is "infestation"!
:-(]  The same piece of skin has to be hit twice by the oil to cause the
blister reaction.

I agree with the smoke - that's how my mom always gets it, and she gets
it *bad*.  The only time I got it in my throat and eyes I got it wy
walking through ivy smoke.  That was a miserable month...

Also, the plantain is good for insect bites and heat rashes.  That's what
I use as on-the-scene first aid at Ren Faire.  Boy, the looks I get!  But
does it work well, especially on those huge gnat bites!  We call it
"heal-all" here - is that supposed to be a different plant?
-Caro