HERB - Poison Ivy help

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Sat May 22 11:12:52 PDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999 22:16:41 -0600 Joan Nicholson
<gryphon at carlsbadnm.com> writes:

>>>We were told it was virginia creeper.  Five leaves instead of
>>>three.
>
>Hrmmmm...Any poison sumac in your area?  Believe it has five to seven
>leaves.  It's been too long, <sigh>, I can't remember the areas where
>poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac overlap.
>
>Prydwen the Lurker
>

>gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
>=========================================================.

Poison ivy (_Toxiconendron radicans_)  is shrubby or vining, climbs via
aerial roots.  Leaves are alternate, 3-lobed, irregularly toothed, smooth
on top, may be hairy on underside. It occurs throughout eastern North
America.

Poison sumac (_Toxiconendron vernix_) has pinnate leaves with 7 to 13
untoothed leaflets.   It is a shrub to small tree 6 to 20 feet tall.  It
occurs from Texas to Minnesota and eastward in the US.

Eastern poison oak (_Toxiconendron toxicarium_) is found on the east
coast from New Jersey southward.  It is very similar to poison ivy, but
is always a shrub, never a vine. The leaflets have irregular oak-like
lobes.

Western poison oak (_Toxiconendron diversilobum_) has rounded even lobes
on the 3 leaflets,  It  is a bushy shrub 3 to 6 feet tall and occurs only
on the west coast, from British Columbia to Mexico.

All of these have whitish smooth or hairy berries in pendulous clusters
at the leaf axis.

Hertha