HERB - Washing leather

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Tue May 25 10:33:37 PDT 1999

On Tue, 25 May 1999 00:56:51 -0400 Warren & Meredith Harmon
<corwynsca at juno.com> writes:

>Greetings!
>
>No, I haven't tried washing them...I don't see why I can't try, but
>how will I know I washed all the poison out?  I seriously don't want
>to find out when a hawk keels over dead - I work at a raptor rehab
>center, and the poor birdies are already stressed from injury and
>unfamiliar surroundings.  I'd rather buy new ones at that point.
>
>How do you wash your leather?  This is a technique I think I need to
>learn.
>-Caro

For starters, I should say that if they are contaminated by some kind of
pesticide, that probably can't be entirely washed out.  If they are just
contaminated by weeding poison ivy with them, detergent and warm water
should effectively remove it.  I do usually spray on some water based
spot remover (such as Shout or Spray'n'Wash) before throwing them in with
a load of towels or jeans.  The heavy fabrics in the washload act as
supplemental scrubbers.   Run the washer on whatever cycle you use for
those fabrics.  Then I throw them in the dryer along with the fabric
stuff too.  If you just air dry them, they end up being stiff and
uncomfortable.  But you can take them out of the dryer after they have
tumbled for 15 minutes or so, but before they are completely dry.

Hertha