HERB - Another question about Dill

GdDRUID@aol.com GdDRUID at aol.com
Tue May 25 17:02:53 PDT 1999

Greetings!

Since the subject of dill was brought up, it reminded me of something.  When
I was young my grandmother made what she called sun pickles.  They came in
three varieties: dill, sweet, and bread and butter.
They involved heating up the ingredients one time, pouring the vinegar
solution over the room temperature cucumbers in individual bell jars, then
leaving them outside in the sun for a week.  I remember we sunned them upside
down, and we had to shake them once a day to keep the ingredients from
settling too much.
I can't recall anything much about the sweet, but the dill involved fresh
dill and other spices, and the bread and butter had sliced onions in the mix.
They tasted wonderful, and were a great way to work with the four rows of
cucumbers my gardening-happy mother had planted. (She always was the
masochist! <G>)

My question: Any idea on where to get the recipes again? Grandma could never
find them after that crazy summer.

Robyn