HERB - Another question about Dill

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at cactus.verinet.com
Wed May 26 08:36:07 PDT 1999

At 09:02 AM 5/26/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Do you have a recipe for a hot pickle (spicy) that is crisp.  I'd like a
>recipe that I can spice up okra etc. I've got a sweet pickle recipe that is
>really more candied than anything.
>Jeanne de la Mer

To make pickles hot, add powdered cayanne or crushed hot peppers of any
sort.  I have tried it with whole hot peppers and the pickles near the
pepper are nuclear and the rest are relatively un-impacted.

I have heard of 2 things to have a crisp pickle and have successfully tried
one of them.

The one I have tried:  cut the cukes and soak in salted ice water for at
least an hour.  I made my lord's mom's recipe for bread and butter pickles
this way and they were very crisp.

Untried, but vouched for: put a fresh grape leaf or two in the jar with the
pickles.  I love pickled grape leaves and have always wanted to try this,
but have never had a ready source of fresh grape leaves.

Good luck!

Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.