HERB - Sagging plants

Brian Hoberg brian.hoberg at wholefoods.com
Fri May 28 09:26:29 PDT 1999

Raisya,
    I haven't had a soil test done yet; however, you do have a valid point that
the plant could be drooping due to the heat of the afternoon. The garden is on
the east side of my home with a privacy fence on the east of the garden as well.
Sun does not seem to hit the garden directly (covering all areas) until 10:30 or
so and then has full sun till 3:00 or so when the sun begins to sink west and the
porch covering moves slowly over it. Normally, I was watering in the morning and
checking in the afternoon. I've noticed the sage plant droops too in the
afternoon probably result of the heat. I do have a hose that I can lay between
rows and let is mist the ground area. So I should only water once every two or
three days even though the plants are in the direct sun?
-Brian.

RAISYA at aol.com wrote:

> Brian,
>
> A couple of watering suggestions - try watering in the late afternoon or
> early evening, preferably after the heat starts to ease a little, but at
> least an hour before dark if you can.  Once the plants are established and
> growing, don't water every day, water every other day at most, every three
> days is better. You want to soak the ground deeply, not just keep the surface
> wet.  Consider a soaker hose.  Mulch!
>
> However, watering may not be your problem.  The plants could be "leggy"
> because the young plant isn't getting enough sun.  Sometimes it's the intense
> heat of Texas summer, if it seems to droop during the day, but revives in the
> evening, this is the cause.  Or if that isn't the problem, it could be a
> deficiency, most frequently of potash.  Have you had a soil test?
>
> Good luck!
> Raisya
> Shire of the Shadowlands

Brian A. Hoberg
In Store Systems Coordinator (Scan Coordinator)
Whole Foods Market, SW, Quarry
Phone:210-826-4676, x201