HERB - "New to me" book and grasshoppers

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at cactus.verinet.com
Sat May 29 10:01:52 PDT 1999

Greetings,

I just got a fun book at the Denver Botanical Center's Annual Book and
Plant Sale!

It was written by Eleanour Sinclair Rohde and is called "A Garden of
Herbs".  Published in 1936.  It lists a lot of herbs and recipes from late
1500's to late 1600s.   It focuses on the non-medicinal uses of herbs and
unfortunately has no index.  ;-(

I have only leafed through it, but if I find anything particularly cool,
I'll type it in.

I noticed little tiny grasshoppers up in the wild part of our land a few
days ago.  We were totally stripped last year by the damn bugs, so seeing
them already this spring just made me want to get sick.  We are going to
use Nolo-bait to try to control them.  Does anyone have any sucess stories
to share about killing grasshoppers?

We bought chicken and they are out and about, but it looks like they are
not going to be able to patrol the whole 2 acres.  They seem to be pretty
much hanging out around their coop.

I planted things already this spring, but I lost everything I put new into
the ground last year and didn't harvest any herbs from the existing plants
- they were just too devistated.  I am just living on hope for my garden
now.  It's especially hard trying to make a business and a living and
seeing it disappear into a bug's stomach.

Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

  Practice random acts of intelligence & senseless acts of self-control.