HERB - Sagging plants

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sun May 30 20:22:18 PDT 1999

Brian,

Sorry, I was gone over the weekend.  From your description, your garden only
gets about 4 1/2 hours of direct sun a day, this MIGHT be causing some
sun-loving plants to become a bit "leggy".  But in this climate, usually
plants don't need as much direct sunlight.  I've grown plants that normally
prefer 6 - 8 hours of direct sun in the partial shade of taller plants, and
they've thrived.  If the plants perk up in the evening on their own, then
it's probably a normal reaction to the heat.

Yes, watering less frequently but deeply is important to the development of a
good root system.  A plant that is watered frequently, particularly if it's a
shallow watering, may develop only shallow roots.  The surface heats up more
and dries out faster.  A plant with a deep root system not only tolerates
heat and drought better, it tends to be healthier because it has access to
more nutrients.  Mulch is important as well, it shields the ground from
heating up, and slows water evaporation, besides the weed control.  I usually
limit daily watering of transplants to 2 weeks.

Most gardening books are written for a very different climate, I strongly
recommend WARM CLIMATE GARDENING by Barbara Pleasant for anyone living in a
hot climate.

Hope this helps!
Raisya