HERB - Projects/Bath Salts and Lotions

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 10:58:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/8/99 11:14:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
meaduewolf at juno.com writes:

<<
 Hi!
 I'm looking for recipes for both bath salts and hand/body lotions.
 I've done some soaps for Christmas presents and thought it would be nice
 to have these others to complete the basket.
 I've been trying to figure out how the lotions a kept from turning hard.
 I would be most grateful for recipes.
 Rhiannon
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    There are tons of recipes on line--I'll post some links below, and you
can link hop from them, if you wish. Lotions are made by simply making a
cream thinner--or, if you want a different style, by using no waxes at all
(Things like aloe vera and glycerin can make the base for this kind of
"lotion"). Creams--as opposed to salves, at least as I've most often seen
them both defined--are made by adding water to an oil/wax mixture, beating it
in to create an emulsion. (Same basic procedure as making mayonnaise, though
usually minus the vinegar. And I'd highly recommend using a blender, etc.,
unless your arm muscles are a lot stronger than mine! ;-) )

     <A HREF="http://www.silverlink.net/~timer/soaplinks.html">Kathy's
Soapmaking Links</A>  <A HREF="http://www.esosoft.com/thelibrary/index.htm">To
iletries Library</A>  <A HREF="http://sugarplum.net/">Sugar Plum Sundries
Soap Works</A>