HERB - Projects

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Nov 8 18:13:38 PST 1999

For herbal holiday cards, yarrow leaves (I still have green ones) press
flat very nicely in the old dallas (or whereever) yellow pages.  And then
they look like evergreen trees on glued onto a card (Elmers' glue, I
think).  Experiment with pressing other herbs - some do real well.

Depending on what you dried over the summer, small wreaths are fun.  If
you use a styrofoam base, you can use hairpins to attach the herbs.  For
straw bases, you will need the U-shaped (more or less) floral pins.  I
have been building wreaths with fresh stuff (because it is not so
fragile), and letting it dry on the wreath (dry flat!), but that takes a
month or so with fresh stuff available, so is too late now to do.

Members of my herb club like making herbal vinegars, which can be made
with dry stuff.

I sometimes put up little bottles of cough syrup or small tins of salve
for gifts and largesse.

Also little bottles of spices are fun for small gifts.

A good place to get assorted little bottles is American Science and
Surplus in Skokie, IL.  847-982-0870   www.sciplus.com.  What they have
varies over time, but they usually have an interesting selection of tins
and bottles - not often 1 oz glass though, which is what I usually need.
Some are plastic, some are glass.

On the herb wines, I have also been told that a nice dry white wine can
be infused with dried herbs to alter its flavor - sort of like making a
tincture.  And that you could do now.  Haven't done it myself....

Suzanna