HERB - Projects/Bath Salts and Lotions

LANA JANE SWIFT valkyrie at tomatoweb.com
Wed Nov 10 13:31:43 PST 1999

Cecille here....

Glad for your interest in the bath powder!  Here it is...

1/2 to 1 cup white cosmetic grade clay (kaolin clay).

1 to 2 cups arrowroot powder or cornstarch (or a combination of both).

essential oil of choice to scent (optional).

lavender and rose flowers (optional).

1.  In a large bowl, using a wire whisk, mix the clay and arrowroot or
cornstarch together.

2.  Add essential oil. (because of its absorbent properties, the powder will
absorb far more than you imagine).

3.  If you wish to use herbs in the powder, grind the lavender and roses (or
other herbs) into a fine powder using a coffee mill (not the one you use for
coffee of course or you will have lavender coffee forever!), or nut and seed
grinder.

4.  Sift the herbs, then grind any thing left behind in the sifter again.
They must be as finely powdered as possible or they will create a gritty
feeling.

5.  Cover the body powder with a porous cloth and let sit for several hours
to dry.

6.  Package in a shaker containers (like spice jars), or fancy tins.

7.  Instead of a powder puff, try collecting feathers and gluing them
together, then tying a ribbon around the base.  If feathers are difficult to
come by, you could always go to a fly and tackle shop.  They seem to always
have an exotic collection of them!

I make Peppermint body powder for the summer months.
I put it inside of shoes,  in my bed linens,  in my doggy beds,  my towel
and linen cupboards, mixed in with the fresh cat litter,  and even lightly
sprinkled on my carpets (cheaper than those rug deodorizers you buy in the
markets!), .

(in the winter, I like warmer smell like +patchouli+vanilla), .

Cecille de Baskervyl from the Kingdom of the West, Principality of Cynagua
(between Sacramento, California and Lake Tahoe), .