HERB - Advice PLEASE!!!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Nov 11 17:20:12 PST 1999

Let me see.  For talks about medieval herb usage to people who have no
real background in the subject, I try to talk about plants that are still
used, ie. peppermint, the fact that it has been used for stomach upset
for centuries, and is the number one stomach upset remedy flavor today.
Chamomile, used for calming, and then mention Celestial Seasonings Sleepy
Time Tea.  Once they can identify with some of the plants, it makes more
sense that people used these things everyday, and were the pharmacology
of the day.  You might mention the Humoral Theory, and how this guided
the use of foods and herbs in the diet to regulate the body's Humors.  I
would mention the fact that kitchen gardens would include the herbs used
in cooking and for healing, and a still room would hold the drying herbs
for household use.  Monasteries and other religious institutions had
large gardens and orchards.  Medicinal plants were grown near the sick
house so that they could be utilized easily, and also so that the
fragrance of the fresh growing plants would reach the patients.
	Try to make it relevant to your audience's experiences, and they will
ask more leading questions.
	There are many wonderful websites available from the folks on the list,
and I'm sure those gentles will post them here.
	Good luck,
	Christianna