HERB - rune inscribed salt clay

Sara Bairrington katri4684 at surfree.com
Sat Nov 20 00:05:58 PST 1999

At 11:08 PM 11/19/99 -0800, Rauthulfr wrote:
>snip
  There are Runes, and there are runes.  This can make a big
>difference depending upon trying to do something vaguely period
Norse,>verses something relatively new age/neo-pagan Norse.  The challenge
here is that Runes to a great extent became "popular" after Ralph Blum
published his "The Book of Runes" which came with a set of ceramic tiles.
Blum's
interpretations tend not to be supportable in terms of period references.

Thank you!!!  I've always cautioned any students I take or others who have
developed an interest in runic studies to toss out Blum's book or use it to
level an uneven table. At least it does have some valid usage then.

>SNIP

A caution to those who would use runes in any form of mystic usage.  Yes,
the books tell you how, show you the meanings, but remember one thing any
good Runic Shaman would caution you is that anything you attempt to do will
return to you multiplied.  So using evil or negative intents in your
actions can come back to you much more nasty than you sent out.

snip

Strangely enough, there is a thing called the Runic Workbook that is very
good for the surface study of the elder Futhark and its permutations.  Most
good bookstores have copies for sale.

Baroness Ulrike the Franke