HERB - Culinary use of spices...

Nordmarc nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 12:23:38 PDT 1999

I haven't delved too far into the realm of "period" cuisine, but this might
help, it's pretty general.
Originally from the Bookof Trades (Livres benoits, Gesprachbuchlein.).  I found
it in:-
"The Story of Medicine in the Middle Ages" by David. Riesman Md ScD,   New York.
Paul B. Heober, Inc., 1936. pg.315.

For that I am not
spycier ne apotecarie,
I can not name
alle menares of spyces,
but I shall name a partie:
gynger, galingale,
cubibes, comyne,
sugre white and broun,
flour of cammelle,
anyse, graynes of paradys;
of thise thinges be made confection
and goog poudres,
whereof is made
good sauces
and electuaries for medicines.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the class.  Isrith.