HERB - What is.......

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 22:20:29 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/09/1999 6:55:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doroket at yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Has anyone any info on an herb called spikenard?

 We are preparing a Byzantine feast and came across the

 name.

 We would appreciate any input.

 Thank-you

 Dorothy and Theodelinda

 ===== >>
    Ask, and ye shall receive, dears. :-) This is from the  <A
HREF="http://www.silk.net/sirene/">Francisco Siren, Spicier</A> website--when
you want an SCA spice, an SCA spicier is always a good bet! ;-) And I want to
see the recipes, too............. (G)

                        Ldy Diana

0462 SPIKENARD

This root (or more properly rhizome) has a heavy and peculiar odour, like a
mixture of valerian and patchouli. The taste is bitter and aromatic. Used in
India from early times in perfume and medicine, it was imported to the
Greco-Roman world. It scented the precious ointment offered to Jesus. The
Roman cookbook of Apicius calls for it in sauces for meat, seafood, and fowl.
It is an ingredient in some medieval hypocras and clarry recipes. [n.b. -- do
not confuse this with American Spikenard (Aralia racemosa), a totally
different plant, which is what is usually offered as 'spikenard' in North
America.]

25 g 1.65
500 g 29.15