HERB - garlic questions

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 04:44:05 PDT 1999

Jasmine,

I suspect both hardneck and softneck varieties were grown in period (the
difference between the two isn't great).  Actually, since garlic is grown by
division, I assume that almost every modern garlic bulb is literally a tiny
piece of a period plant :).  The varieties are the result of selective saving
of cloves.  I'd suggest just doing what they did in period, find a variety
that does well in your climate and that you like.

In absolute honestly, I don't think there's any way to be certain of having
ANY variety of any plant be truly the same as in period, except possibly
trees, or essentially wild plants.  Even varieties known to have been grown
in period have probably had a certain amount of selection done since then,
it's inevitable.

Hope this was what you were looking for!
Raisya